Mardi Gras is coming up. It’s always a great time, filled with jazz and festivities. Whether you’re visiting New Orleans, or celebrating in your own city though, you’ll want to celebrate Mardi Gras like a holiday veteran. For that, there’s one thing that might be a little out of your realm of knowledge but is a Mardi Gras tradition. What’s that, you may ask?
Frowned upon by many, celebrated by some, and perfected by few, here’s a list of day drinking tips and tricks from the pros, because we believe sharing is caring.
- If you’re starting the day hungover, the first beer is always the hardest. Get it down as fast as possible and you will feel better. We suggest something that’s essentially water, like light beer.
- Take bonus time (otherwise known as waking up drunk) to your advantage. Think of it as: ‘Hey, I already pre-gamed this morning!’ HELLO, BUDGETING. MEET YOUR MAKER. Don’t let sobriety win.
- For the gentlemen (or ladies) looking to impress with your chiseled physiques when attending parties: hangover dehydration is the best and only pump you need going into the day. Skip the weights today.
- If you didn’t plan the morning right, and you woke up too late, or you woke up hungover*… two words. SHOWER. BEERS.
*Full Disclosure: My original draft of this tip included the sage advice “You can’t get hungover if you’re never sober.” My editor objected. “No, you can’t post that, people will think we endorse being drunk all day.” I have yet to remind her these are exactly the psychopaths that are reading a ‘How to day drink’ article.
- Eat. Carbo-load. The more fat and carbs, the better. It’s even been proven by science – and it won’t really keep you from getting drunk. Today’s a marathon. Your beer gut will definitely be covered by all the beads.
- 🚨Beginner Tip Alert🚨: Alternate drinks with waters if you’re trying to stay semi-acceptably drunk.
- If you don’t want to only drink beer, starting with liquor and slowly phasing into beers will help you stay up all day and keep a buzz. The reverse may make you sleepy.
- Trying to stay coherent? Be sure you don’t switch between liquors. It gets you super drunk. Some call it the Russian roulette of day drinking – who knows if you’ll make it through the day. Avoid Hurricanes or Hand Grenades if you’re shooting for longevity.
- Now an expert level alert: Trying to make it to the wee hours of the night? We know bars don’t really close during Mardi Gras. Stop consuming alcohol at 5 PM. Switch to water temporarily. Drink water for three hours to prevent loss of memory. Eat. Resume drinking at 8 or 9 PM (but definitely don’t sober up, you won’t make it).
There you go. If you follow these nine tips, you’ll successfully day drink your way through Mardi Gras. Happy day drinking!
Go out tonight, and any night. Jukely is a concert subscription that gives members guestlist access to hundreds of music events – for one price. Whenever you want to go out, you’ll always have something to do. Learn more and sign up at jukely.com.